Brother AA Tanner hosted a popular 6:30am radio program every morning on WGTA. In addition to a little Bible lesson, community events etc were announced.
It’s recess at Summerville School in 1949
Summerville Jr. High Band 1965. They are on the bleachers at Sturdivant Field
An early view of the county courthouse, built in 1909.
A young Everett Lunsford poses on Commerce street in the mid 1940’s
The Easter parade comes to the Big Friendly ! Who can sew a dress today?
Trion’s Home Guard practice their drill during World War II
A view of the “beauty parlor” section of the Big Friendly in Trion
An early baptism in the “springs” in Menlo, circa late 1930’s
Lining up to visit the bookmobile at the Menlo School
Plowing the garden at one of the oldest houses in county, the Price House out from Lyerly. This 1930’s photo shows a family trying to survive the great depression.
The Subligna school in the 1920’s
The Boy Scouts on parade on Commerce Street in the late 1940s
Willow Spring ( Cleghorn Spring) was a nice spot for a picture for Clyde Harlow
The Bolling School, circa 1915, with Minnie VanPelt as teacher
The groundbreaking for the First National Bank of Trion in the late 1960s
Chattooga Boys Corn Club circa 1910, encouraged agriculture in the county
Hear Comes the Bride! An early 1900’s Jett-Murphy wedding pose in Menlo.
“Tom Thumb” weddings were popular fundraisers for churches and schools. This group poses at Summerville School in 1926. This picture appeared in the Atlanta Constitution.
Chattooga’s only Congressman, John Davis, had his campaign headquarters in Summerville. He was in office 1961-74.